1. United States (1)- What’s the reasoning for splitting innings between Derek Jeter and Jimmy Rollins? I’d personally go with Rollins. They’re both similar hitters except he adds more speed and a significant upgrade in the field. Doesn’t seem to be having a negative effect on either though, Rollins is hitting .600 and Jeter is at .400.
2. Japan (4) – Daisuke Matsuzaka is now 4-0 all-time in the WBC, look for 22-year-old Yu Darvish to follow in his footsteps and become the next big Japanese pitcher.
3. Cuba (5) – Six homers in an easy win over South Africa.
4. Venezuela (3) – Not much pitching depth after Carlos Silva, Armando Galarraga, King Felix and K-Rod as shown by Team USA’s 13 runs off their bullpen.
5. Korea (6) – Dangerous team looking to get back to the semi-finals.
6. Puerto Rico (8) – Carlos Delgado (.917 OBP, 1 HR) and Ivan Rodriguez (.545 AVG, 2 HR) are tearing the cover off the ball.
7. Dominican Republic (2) – No comment other than Pedro looks good.
8. Mexico (7) – Hairston Brothers (Scott and Jerry Jr.) were a huge aide in advancing Mexico out of the first round.
9. Canada (9) – Seattle Mariners pitching prospect Phillippe Aumont is absolutely dirty.
10. Netherlands (12) – I’m sure the win means the everything back in Europe but don’t buy into this team. They are hitting .151 as a group, ranking dead last in the WBC and the Dominicans got 30 base runners as opposed to their 11 in the two games. They got lucky, very lucky. A hit here and a hit there mixed in with fewer than the six errors they made and D-R is obviously in Miami instead.
11. Australia (14) – Chris Snelling leads a team much improved from ’06 Classic when they ranked 13th in pitching (6.85 ERA) and dead last in hitting (.113 AVG).
12. Italy (11) – Upset Canada but not much else to show for ’09 Classic.
13. Panama (10) – Never had a chance, two and done without one run to show for it.
14. China (15) – They got their first victory, maybe this is the first stride in the development of Chinese baseball.
15. Taiwan (13) – 7.31 ERA would’ve been helped a bit if Chien-Ming Wang had been available.
16. South Africa (16) – Join Panama as the only countries yet to win a game, haha, country.